If you have arrived in the United States before the age of 16, have lived in the country continuously, and meet several other requirements, you or your children may be eligible for deferred action for childhood arrivals, a new immigration policy that was started in 2012 by the US Citizenship and Immigration Services, under the order of the Obama Administration, that grants certain undocumented immigrants the right to exemption from deportation and to receive an employment authorization document active for two years. Without receiving this kind of aid from the government, residing and working in the United States as an undocumented immigrant will put those at risk for deportation, which can be frightening to live without any feeling of security. As the paperwork to file for DACA can be complex and the requirements obscure, the immigration attorneys from the Law Offices of Edward Weisz will be happy to assist you in filing the forms for deferred action.

    An immigrant can request to be considered for DACA if they:

  • were under 31 as of June 15, 2012
  • have arrived in the United States under the age of 16
  • have continuously resided in the US since June 15, 2007, to the time of the application
  • had a physical presence in the United States on June 15, 2012, as well as at the time of requesting deferred action
  • entered the United States without undergoing proper inspection before June 15 ,2012, or their lawful immigration status expired as of June 15, 2012
  • are enrolled in school currently, have either completed high school or obtained a GED, or hold honorably discanged veteran status as a part of the US Coast Guard or Armed Forces
  • have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, or three or more misdemeanors, and do not pose a threat to national security or public safety
    By meeting these requirements, an undocumented immigrant has a much greater chance at being considered for deferred action.

To apply for DACA, a formal application known as the I-821D will need to be submitted, including fees and evidence which proves that you or your family members qualify for the program. Some supporting documents that show evidence of your identity, age, arrival in the US, educational record, and evidence of continual presence are required and may include:

  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Driver’s license
  • Plane, bus, or boat tickets showing entry to the US
  • school records, such as diplomas and GED
  • personal affidavits, statements made by teachers, employers, friends and religious leaders
  • tax records
  • financial records
  • medical records
  • employment records
  • military records

The fee required to submit this application is $465, which includes a fingerprinting or biometrics fee for a background check of $85 and a $380 fee for the Employment Authorization Document, which is necessary to submit, regardless of your desire for a work permit. Filling out these forms and gathering the right documents can be challenging, but with assistance from experienced immigration attorneys from the Law Offices of Edward Weisz, you can feel more confident in your application submission for deferred action for childhood arrivals and become closer to ensuring your safety from deportation.